There are times when you can’t be available full time in office. You may have to run for a doctor’s appointment, a personal matter, or for some work outside the office. There can be numerous reasons for leaving early from work or arriving late in the office. Taking a half day is quite common and employers understand that you really need some time off.
General causes for which you are allowed to miss work or leave early
- Travelling, for work or otherwise
- Doctor’s appointment
- Religious commitment
- Attending an industry event or conference
- Attending a family function, your child’s school event, or even a game
- A family matter that needs your attention
- Dealing with a health issue
- Moving to a new place
- Something urgent or unpredictable comes up
To each his own. All you need to make sure of is that you are honest about your leave. If you begin to lie about these matters, your managers can easily identify the pattern and stop trusting you. Even if you simply need some personal time off, communicate it to your boss.
Email Template for Half Day Leave Email
I am writing this email to let you know that I will require a half day leave today <date> as I need to <the reason>. I will leave after lunch and make sure that I complete as much work as possible before that.
You can reach me on my phone in case of any emergency or query. I hope the team will handle the work well in my absence.
What not to include in the half day leave email?
It is important to communicate to the management that you need a half day leave. But make sure that you keep the following things in mind while writing the email.
- Keep it brief and simple. Do not confuse your Boss by writing too much or using long and complex sentences.
- Avoid giving too much information. Remember, it’s your workplace. Your boss does not need to know everything going on in your life.
- Don’t cook a story. Be honest with your request for a half day leave. Otherwise, it can lead to a lack of trust between you and your management.
How to get approval for a half day leave?
It is not necessary that your management will approve the request for a half day. Sometimes, there can be too much work in the office and your boss might not be comfortable allowing you to leave early. To ensure a yes from the Boss, make sure that you follow these simple steps.
- Inform in advance
- If you are asking for time off at the last minute, leave room for discussion later
- Plan how you intend to complete the work and convey it to your Boss
- Avoid building a pattern around it
Notify your employer
Informing your management and gaining their confidence is the most important thing. Freedom always comes with responsibility. Your employers would want to be sure about the fact that you are not taking any kind of unnecessary leverage. Being bored or simply uninterested in work can never be a good enough reason for time off. In that case, you must find ways to innovate at work, to keep yourself motivated and inspired.
(The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Energy Dais.)