Once the drilling angle exceeds 60 degrees, all the conventional logging tools become ineffective after that. But the increasing drilling activities year after year called for significant improvement in these well logging techniques. And hence, measurement while drilling, a very important type of Logging-While-Drilling (LWD) was introduced. This technology was originally designed in the 1980s and now after undergoing a few advancements over a period of time, it has become the most popular one among the amongst well logging family. MWD tools have made directional drilling comparatively easy and a lot more efficient.
The MWD tools provide all the information regarding the forces acting on the drill string and BHA, size and shape of the wellbore and static and dynamic pressures internally within the drill string and the annulus. So basically, it is providing the drilling engineers with real-time data to make informed decisions real quick.
One of the important MWD tools is Downhole Pulser which is used to change the drilling fluid pressure inside the drill string. There are many companies across the industry that manufacture this MWD tool but very few who provide proper precision. One such company is Vertex Downhole and the MWD tools provided by the company are deployed in most of the logging operations across the industry.
Vertex Downhole Pulser: An efficient MWD equipment by Vertex Downhole
Vertex Downhole is one of the leading directional drilling companies in the industry. The downhole pulser it manufactures uses the latest technology and is the most advanced tool available in the industry at the moment. It has been designed to store information related to environmental conditions experienced, all communications received, and diagnostic information for each pulse executed by the motor. The pulser sends out positive pulses and has an outer diameter (housing) of 1.875″.
The features that set Vertex Pulser apart from the other competitors in the market are:
- Operating voltage: 15 – 29 VDC
- Connector: 8-Conductor Rotary (Isys/GE Pilot) or Kintec (Tensor)
- Flow sensor is vibration controlled and user-configurable
- Advanced power supply; minimizes motor impact on battery voltage fluctuation and line noise to external tools
- Length: 44.1″ – 46.5″
- Max Operating pressure: 20,000 PSI
- Max operating temp: 177° C / 350° F (200° C in development)
- Survival temp electronics: 185° C, Motor 200° C, Mechanical 200° C
- Vibration: 20 gRMS (15 – 1,0000 Hz)
- Shock: 1000 g, .5 ms, 1/2 Sine
- LCM: High Tolerant
The pulser is designed to have very high LCM tolerance which helps the MWD tool perform efficiently in harsh environments as well. It is engineered to operate at a temperature of up to 200 degrees. The following unique features of the tool will help you understand the nuances better:
- Advanced memory logging stores information regarding environmental conditions experienced, all communications received, and diagnostic information for each pulse executed by the motor.
- Advanced motor driver algorithm delivers only the power required to move pilot valve poppet at the desired rate. Up to 50% power reduction under normal operating conditions. Quick response (< 200 μs) to LCM blockage and pressure events allows the motor to deliver up to 100% of rated power quickly when needed.
- The advanced motor driver starts the motor in a way that minimizes impact on the battery by limiting battery current in a controlled manner.
- Rugged construction; designed for high vibration environment
- Reduced number of parts makes it easy to service
- Self-adjusting poppet increases efficiency
- Self-aligning connectors; no more bent pins
- Twin-start threads, modular design for quicker assembly
- Can be assembled with a minimum set of tools
- Designed to minimize wash
- Piston-compensated; tool only uses 5 cubic inches of oil and fills in less than 90 minutes
- Servo poppet, screen & orifice are changed without removing oil
Directional Drilling: Future Outlook
The global directional drilling services market is set to grow at a CAGR of 4.34% until 2021. According to the analysts, the market value of the service will be approximately USD 10.3 billion by then. Growth in energy demand and shale gas development has been driving the need of the market. Not only will it generate more demand but will also present a great opportunity for companies like Vertex to take innovation to the next level. The MWD tools engineered by Vertex have been deployed in various regions across the globe and have been appreciated for its superior design and performance. And it will be interesting to see which innovation will they bring on the table.
(Look for the industry approved best MWD equipment here)