In the present times, liner hangers constitute a significant segment in the oilfield services business. A liner is a casing string placed in the well anywhere between the well bottom and below the well-top. Liner Hanger is the system used to hang this liner in a production well. Over the years, service companies have applied different technologies to develop advanced liner hangers, that began from mechanical-set liner hangers, and thereby shifting into hydraulic-set liner hangers and balanced cylinder hangers to present generation expandable-type liner hangers. Often, liners are correlated to casing types such as surface liners, intermediate liners, and production liners. Each of these types is placed corresponding to their casing type in the well.
In this article, let us talk about some of the liner hanger manufacturers and the technologies associated with it.
Opportunities for Liner Hanger Manufacturers
The global liner hangers market looks optimistic in the future, with multiple analysts forecasting significant growth in the industry. A report published by Technavio projects nearly 5% of CAGR in the global liner hangers market during 2019-2023. The report talks in detail about the factors which will contribute positively to the estimated growth rate. The primary factors include several oil discoveries, an increase in the demand for directional and horizontal drilling. Apart from these factors, the surge in global energy requirements has also proved to be a significant driver of the liner hangers market.
All this being said, the evolution of liner hangers has been driven by the need to increase drilling efficiency and reduce the cost of hydrocarbons recovery. Liner Hanger manufacturers have played a crucial role in achieving such feat, over the years.
Let us look at some of the leading liner hanger manufacturers in the world:
- Schlumberger: More than nine decades old, Schlumberger is a recognized leader in the oilfield services business. The Houston-based firm is a major supplier of technology for reservoir characterization, drilling, production, and processing to the oil and gas industry. Through its proprietary COLOSSUS liner hanger systems, Schlumberger caters to a wide range of environments, right from the easiest to the most challenging ones. The COLOSSUS liner hanger systems come in three types:
- COLOSSUS Metal-to-Metal Expandable Liner Hanger System
- COLOSSUS CMT Cemented Liner Hanger System
- COLOSSUS UNC Uncemented Liner Hanger System
- National Oilwell Varco: Another big name in this list is the Houston-based oilfield services giant, National Oilwell Varco or NOV. Over a century old, NOV is a leading provider of oilfield equipment and services to the upstream oil and gas industry. NOV offers a wide range of liner hanger systems and liner hanger accessories for both cemented as well as openhole applications. NOV’s liner hanger offerings include Cementing Plugs, GS Liner Hanger, GSL Liner Hanger, GSP Liner Hanger, Hold-Down Sub, Liner Packers, Mechanical Liner System, Mechanical Set Liner Hanger, Premium Liner System, Standard Liner System, Running Tools and Accessories, Tension Anchor. With a global footprint and excellent track record, the firm is widely recognized for providing industry-proven liner hanger systems that enhance the productivity of a well.
- TIW Oiltools: Incorporated in the year 1917, Texas Iron Works (TIW) is a leading provider of completion solutions to the upstream industry. TIW’s comprehensive range of liner hanger systems has been engineered to operate in every well condition type, and has found application in some of the deepest and most difficult wells. Its proprietary Expandable Liner Hanger System, TIW XPak™ has been designed to operate with standard liner applications and comes incorporated with industry-proven expandable technology.
Different Types of Liner Hanger System
There are primarily 4 types of Liner Hanger System used in the oil and gas industry:
- Mechanical Liner Hanger: The mechanical set and release liner hangers form the very first and simple technology of this technology. Mechanical liner hangers employ mechanisms that need activation by the means of mechanical action i.e., J-Cage slot or threaded nut. This liner hanger system is appropriate for all vertical or slightly deviated well applications, apart from cost-sensitive projects such as onshore applications. The cheapness and reliability of these liner hangers make them suitable for such applications.
- Hydraulic Liner Hanger: One of the most common problems with the deeper and the higher deviation well is the difficulty faced in activating and releasing from the liner hanger mechanically. That is why another activation method is required, which does not necessitate pipe manipulation as a primary activation method. The concept utilizes the hydraulic force of the mud and employs it to shear pins or to rapture discs that unlock a force to activates a piston, pushing hanger slips to set it or release the setting tool from the liner hanger. Hydraulic liner hangers find wide usage in deeper wells and highly deviated onshore and offshore wells as well.
- Balanced Cylinders Liner Hanger: The concept behind the balanced cylinders lies in balancing the hydraulic forces using mirrored pressure balanced cylinders. This eliminates the risk of premature setting. The enhanced capabilities of the balanced cylinders liner hanger enable it to be deployed in higher circulating operations, reaming and limited drilling operations as well.
- Expandable Liner Hanger: Possibly one of the most deployed liner hanger systems is the expandable liner hanger system. This liner hanger type can be run in all established liner hanger applications. This also includes situations where high torque and high circulation rates are required and challenging well conditions with tight or close tolerances. Expandable liner hangers find particular use in applications where a reliable system can be run with negligible risk of having conventional problems in a harsh environment. One of the most prominent advantages of the expandable liner hangers is that it provides more annular clearance when compared to conventional systems, due to the absence of an external moving mechanism.
Energy Dais for Liner Hanger Companies
For most of the liner hanger companies, finding reliable leads have been a troublesome task, with opportunities limited to their geographical location. Such a rapidly growing industry needs a global marketplace, that is both transparent and digital. Energy Dais presents this opportunity, allowing the buyers of liner hangers to discover the right liner hanger manufacturers and companies. The custom quote option on the product and services category page allows them to dictate to you, the supplier, the exact requirement and performance expectations from the product. This empowers the buyer to establish a trusted relationship with the manufacturer or supplier, and the chances of you getting more such business increase repeatedly!
(The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Energy Dais.)