The importance of casing pipes is a secret known to everyone. Casing pipes are vital to smoother drilling operations. Owing to tougher geological circumstances, complex downhole conditions, and stringent environment safety norms, OEMs are now required to produce high-quality oilfield equipment to reduce the constant stress building on the pipe body; emphasis has been laid on the quality of the casing pipe and casing pipe connectors. If for some reason the casing is damaged, it may result in a reduction of production and even scrapping of the entire well.
This article reads about how UDTL’s casing pipe connectors have enhanced the reliability of casing pipes, thereby maximizing efficiency across drilling operations.
Casing Pipe Connectors by UDTL
Established in the year 1985, India-based United Drilling Tools Ltd is one of the leading manufacturers of high-quality products used in the upstream operations. UDTL is widely recognized for manufacturing downhole tools, wireline & well service equipment, gas lift equipment, and large OD casing connectors. One of the major offerings by UDTL is the high-quality Casing Pipe Connectors, fabricated at its state-of-the-art facility in India. These casing pipe connectors have been tested and proven in some of the most challenging downhole conditions across the Gulf of Mexico, MENA and South Asian regions.
Features of Large OD Casing Pipe with Connectors
- Connectors are stronger than the pipes, which give advantages.
- During the incoming inspection of pipes all the mandatory documents like mill test certificates, inspection test certificates etc received from the supplier’s end are as per the requirements of API 5L Standard. All the pipes are properly marked as per API 5L Standard.
- Finished casing pipes are fitted with thread protectors at both ends.
- Thread protectors are designed with material and mechanical strength to protect the thread and pipe from damage under normal storage, handling & transportation conditions. Thread protectors cover the full length of the thread on the pipe to exclude water and dirt from the thread.
- In case the Casing pipes are of SAWL design, UDTL ensures that the head height of the longitudinal seam along the length of mother pipe and also weld height of the connector will have smooth latch/passes of casing pipe elevator.
- The pipes supplied with double the number of ‘O’ rings required as per the connector design.
- A series of four proprietary-design, UDTL’s casing pipe connectors conform to all national and international standards.
UDT Leopard: The Leopard combines the advantages of a preloaded, thread-type connector with the rapid make-up desired for offshore operations. It has strength characteristics equivalent to or higher than those of the conductor. The UDT Leopard is a self-aligned connector with a high-cone angle and is available in twin or four-start thread. When stabbed, the box swallows approximately 90% of the pin length. The stabbing guide prevents cross-threading. Full make-up achieved in less than half a turn with a four-start thread and less than one turn for a two-start thread. The required make-up torque is 45,000 ft-lb for a 30″ connection. To prevent back-off during driving and to permit the connection to transmit torque, integral anti-rotation tabs engaged using a hand-held Hilti gun or manual shear tool. The use of the anti-rotation tabs increases breakout torque to as high as 90,000 ft-lb, depending on the number of tabs engaged.
- Self Aligned
- Low torque make-up with rig tongs
- Less than one turn make-up
- Integral 4 points anti-rotation provision
- Suitable for piling/Jetting
- Reversible and reusable
- Visual indication of make-up
- Preloaded for fatigues
UDT Swift: The UDT Swift DW2 is a heavy-duty threaded connector for use on exploration and platform casing strings where high strength and pressure integrity are important. Compared to other connectors of similar performance, the Swift DW2 requires very low make-up torque and can be assembled using standard rig tongs. The Swift DW2 combines a rugged, double-start thread form with a deep stabbing design to eliminate cross-threading. The double-start thread reaches full pre-loaded make-up in 1-1/2 rotations. The maximum torque required is between 20,000 and 26,000 ft-lb for a 20″ design. Full make-up is visually confirmed by inspecting external indicator faces. An integral metal-to-metal seal, with an elastomer O-ring secondary seal, provides sealing. These connectors are also available in different drift sizes and internal diameters compliant to API-5CT on customer requirements. Swift DW2 connectors could be reused multiple times.
- Pre-loaded for fatigue
- Primary metal seal, back-up elastomer
- Environmental seal
- Strength equivalent to the casing
- Reversible and reusable
- Fast twin start, low-torque make-up using rig tongs
UDTL’s After-Purchase Services
UDTL has always strived to be a customer-centric company. Ethics is at the core of every business decision made by the firm. This is reflected in UDTL’s after-purchase services which aim at aiding customers in making the most out of UDTL-supplied oilfield equipment. UDTL provides below services /facilities to customers free of cost:
- Free of cost Anti-Rotation Device for locking the box and pin assembled connectors
- Free Engineering assistance in wells to lower our connector with casing first time
- Provision of training and assistance for technicians regarding Connector and casing pipe lowering in the well-bore
Building an Innovative Mindset: United Drilling Tools
The global upstream industry is sailing through turbulent waters, owing to the geopolitical circumstances, stringent environmental norms and growing demand. In times like these, the importance of consistent innovation cannot be stressed enough. Having an innovative mindset at both the management and operational level in the oil and gas industry is crucial. At United Drilling Tools, innovation is woven into the operation and management fabric. This mindset reflected through UDTL’s three-decade-long history of successfully serving the global upstream industry. Building on its reputation of providing high-quality downhole tools, UDTL has continued to propel its clientele towards higher efficiency in drilling and completion operations.
(The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Energy Dais)